National Science Olympiad Forum By SOF Olympiad Trainer - Page 163

User Forum

Subject :NSO    Class : Class 3

Post Your Answer

Subject :NSO    Class : Class 8

Ans 1:

Class : Class 8
In my opinion, the answer to this question should be option (X) - Can’t be determined. This is because there are two orders of executives (on the basis of reaching the office first). Firstly, consider the order: S, Q, U, P, T, W, R. This order fulfills all the criteria: firstly, R is the last person to reach the office; secondly, U reaches immediately before P; thirdly, P is consecutively followed by T, and then T is followed by W; finally, S is not immediately followed by U, and not at the second last position. According to this order, the person who reaches office fourth is P. However, considering the order: U, P, T, W, S, Q, R, the fourth person is W. This order also fulfills all criteria, and thus is a suitable order. Thus, there are two answers to this question: P, and W. Therefore, the answer should be option (X) - can’t be determined. Option (D), as given in the solution, is an incorrect option, due to phrasing. "None of these" suggests that there is one other 'definite' answer, while "Can't be determined" suggests that there is 'more than one answer', or 'an unknown answer'. The confusion in this question might arise from the fact that the question's phrase "U reaches...but does not immediately follow S.". This phrase seems to imply that U follows S, just not immediately. However, this implication is an inference we derive from common sense and pragmatic thinking, not of rational and logical decision making. Just because U does not immediately follow S, it does not mean U follows S, it could also mean S follows U, because this does not contradict the phrase 'U reaches....but does not immediately follow S'. That is probably why, in the solution, the order S, Q, U, P, T, W, R is given, but the order U, P, T, W, S, Q, R isn't.

Post Your Answer

Subject :NSO    Class : Class 5

Post Your Answer

Ans 1:

Ans 2:

Class : Class 5

Ans 3:

Post Your Answer

Study the given table regarding different species and their status. Select the correct option for PS.

P Q R S
A Dodo Vulnerable Gaur Critically endangered
B Tasmanian wolf Critically endangered Giant panda Vulnerable
C Steller’s sea cow Critically endangered Asian elephant Vulnerable
D Labrador duck Vulnerable Cheetah Critically endangered

B is correct as well, the tasmanian wolf is extinct, and the giant panda endangered.

Post Your Answer

Subject :NSO    Class : Class 2

Post Your Answer

Post Your Answer

Post Your Answer

The characteristics of different fibres are listed as
W : I am strong, elastic, light and burn slowly.
I shrink on heating and form hard beads with smell of burning hair.
X : I burn completely leaving no residue.
Y : I can be woven like silk fibres and dyed in a wide variety of colours. I burn quickly with a smell of burning paper.
Z : I do not get wrinkled easily. I burn slowly and produce black smoke.
W, X, Y and Z are respectively

ATerylene, rayon, cotton and nylon
BBakelite, nylon, rayon and cotton
CMelamine, PVC, nylon and rayon
DNylon, cotton, rayon and polyester.

Post Your Answer

Subject :NSO    Class : Class 7

Post Your Answer