User Forum

Subject :NSO    Class : Class 8

The diagram shows a plotting compass placed above a copper wire when there is no current flowing in the wire. What happens to the compass needle when a large direct current flows from point A to point B?

A The compass needle points towards the right.
B The compass needle points towards the left.
C The compass needle points towards upward.
D The compass needle points toward downward.

Why? please explain this?

Ans 1:

Class : Class 8
It should be A...

Ans 2:

According to Faraday's right hand rule, electricity flowing from point A to B generates a magnetic field around the wire moving from right to left (above the wire), and left to right (below the wire). Due to the compass being above the wire (according to the question), the compass needle must be influenced by the magnetic field, such that it points towards the right; i.e. the needle points in a direction from left to right. Thus, I opine that option (A) is the correct answer, not option (D). As there is an electric current, there must be a magnetic field, and thus there must be a deflection in the compass, which excludes option (D) entirely.

Ans 3:

The solution says that the answer is supposed to be d but according to the explanation given the answer seems to be a. Please explain.

Ans 4:

Class : Class 9

Ans 5:

Class : Class 7
I'm not sure what the answer is in this one, as the correct answer and the solution are mismatched.

Ans 6:

Ans 7:

Class : Class 9

Ans 8:

Class : Class 10

Ans 9:

Class : Class 10
The answer is Option A

Ans 10:

should be a

Ans 11:

Class : Class 5
The *solution* and the *option* mismatch.

Ans 12:

Ans 13:

It’s A . The question uses Maxwell’s right thumb rule.

Ans 14:

Post Your Answer