“You don't want a million answers as much as you want a few forever questions. The questions are diamonds you hold in the light. Study a lifetime and you see different colors from the same jewel.”
I've always had trouble coping up with asking questions, and one particular childhood memory reminds me why that is. I was 12 years old, dressed in my school uniform and my father was about to drop me to my school. When we reached the school, he handed me some form of letter and asked me to take it to the school office. I cheerfully asked what it was that I was holding and why it needed to be taken to the office. Instead of being pleased at my nosiness, he became annoyed at my question and told me that he is going to do it himself if I’m having troubles doing it. I tried to explain that I was just curious, but my father's anger just deepened further. This wasn't the first time I had felt incredibly hurt and ashamed for asking him a question. I wished I hadn't asked at all. Maybe that would have pleased him better!
Prepare for Olympiad Exams
1. Children learn by asking questions.
Students learn by asking questions. New recruits learn by asking questions. Innovators understand client needs by asking questions. It is the simplest and most effective way of learning. Brilliant thinkers never stop asking questions because they know that this is the best way to gain deeper insights.
2. Young children are curious beings.
They look at their surroundings in awe, yearn to smell and touch what they haven't before, questioning what they don't understand. As children grow older, the frequency and types of questions asked does indeed change, but a child's thirst for knowledge still remains. Yet it's during these early years that their questions really need to be encouraged. Although young children may appear dogged with their curiosity, they may not necessarily want an answer, just an opportunity to engage in a conversation about something they're interested in.
NSO Mock Test
3. Value your child’s questions.
As parents, it would be impractical to answer every single question throughout the day. As long as one is encouraging their children to ask questions most of the time, it's perfectly reasonable to leave the answer for a later time. However, if a child is repeatedly being discouraged from asking questions, there could be a detrimental effect on their development. Your child's courage to ask questions and your willingness to answer them, matter a great deal to the future around us. You are helping your child to expand their view of the world, and to accumulate knowledge that will eventually make the world a better place to live in.
And just like science shows us through inventions like the telephone, electricity or the cures of many cancers, in order to find answers, we must first ask the right questions. As elders, we need to do everything we can to encourage questions in our children. So hopefully one day, their curiosity might be the catalyst for immense change as well. They are going to shape the future and by helping them, we’re creating a better future for them. The future belongs to the Curious. The ones, who are not afraid to try it, explore it, poke at it, question it, and turn it inside out.
Abraham Lincoln once said “If I had six hours to chop a tree, I will spend first four hours sharpening the axe.”
The importance of preparation cannot be explained in a more practical and straightforward way than the above statement.
Our children worked hard for Level-1 Olympiads. It is now our turn to boost their confidence and help them prepare well for Level-2 Olympiads.
Appearing for Level-2 Olympiads without preparation can be disheartening for our children. Our children may end up feeling dejected and dissatisfied, as somewhere inside they know that they could have done much better, had they prepared for it.
So let’s not waste the chance our children have got. Let’s help them prepare for Level 2 Olympiads. It is not about coming in top 3 or top 10, it is about helping them putting their best foot forward and respecting and acknowledging their effort.
Some of the children qualify for multiple Level-2 Olympiads. As all Level-2 Olympiads are conducted on the same day, children find it tough to prepare for multiple Olympiads. Parents should step in here and help them plan and prioritize.
The syllabus of Level-2 Olympiads is same as Level-1 Olympiads but the difficulty level increases in Level-2. It is important to understand the pattern and types of questions generally asked and hence it is important to attempt Previous Year Papers and Mock Tests.
SOF Olympiad Trainer has exclusive content to help you prepare for Level 2 Olympiads
NSO 2nd Level Sample Papers
NCO 2nd Level Sample Papers
- Level - 2 Previous Year Papers
- Level - 2 Mock Test Series
- Level - 2 Sample Papers
In addition, the children should try to do the Chapter-wise test bank once again.
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of hard work, planning and preparation.
These are small steps towards a big goal.
SOF Level-2 Olympiads are going to be held on 12th Feb 2017 for NCO, NSO and IMO.
Practice makes a man perfect. And so does Mock Tests.By practicing mock tests you are actually working towards improving your exam scores. It focuses on various aspects of the exam which could not have understood by just studying theories.
Mocks are trial test which are based on original exam pattern and should be taken mostly after preparing for the exam. Based on result you should assess the level of preparation.Thus getting an insight before main exams. Mocks are available for nearly all the exams be it Olympiads, or government or any other. There are many more advantages of giving mock tests, which are as follows:
• Better time management – Time is one of the most important factor when it comes to successfully clearing any of the exam. However how much one is prepared for the exam, unless and until he/she she doesn’t know to put the complete knowledge in the given time frame it becomes useless. So by giving mocks you know where you are taking more time to answer a question and hence work on that part.
• Boost Confidence – Practicing Mocks not only makes one prepare for the exam but also boosts confidence. It helps you oversee time and execution with awesome certainty. The more test you'll give, the better you'll comprehend your strong and weak territories. Similarly gives you the chance to settle each inquiry with an uplifting attitude as you are assured that you have already prepared well.
• Know about your strengths and weaknesses – While giving mock tests one gets to know about their strength and weaknesses on various topics. This achieved by analyzing the amount of effort invested and time taken in answering various questions.
• Reduces error – Sometimes you may feel that you know a particular topic well, but when you start giving the test it turns out to be otherwise. You get to know where all you lose your attention and what all are the things you tend to forget. This way error reduces in the original exam.
• Improved Problem Solving Skill – The more you practice something the easier it becomes to do it. So mock test gives you this opportunity. You also get to know how much efficient are you if any new problem is thrown to you.
• It helps you revise – By repeatedly giving these tests you revise your course along with practicing it. Thus helping you in scoring well in an exam.
• It gives you feel of a real exam – As mock tests are similar to the original exam pattern they help them face the pressure of exam beforehand. So in turn in the real exam you are already prepared to face this pressure and hence an improved performance.
Try All Science Olympiad Mock Test Online at www.sofolympiadtrainer.com
Increased level of concentration is directly proportional to improved result and that too in lesser time. First of let’s see what concentration is. “Concentration is taking your mind off many things and putting it on one thing at a time”. An improved concentration level will help your kid perform better in learning and perform awesome, be it school test or exams like Science Olympiads, Maths Olympiads etc. So here some awesome ways to improve concentration.
1. Don’t keep your stomach empty before studying – The glucose in the food helps in improving memory. But don’t overeat as it may slow down your brain processing. Remember brain also need fuel for digestion.
2. Make picture in your head of what you study – Instead of learning to eat an apple a day, try visualizing yourself with eating an apple.
3. Give your brain a break – Our hardworking and intelligent brain also needs some recess. So give it some, otherwise in long run it may lose interest.
4. Give your brain some muscles – The key to a healthy life is exercise. In a healthy body lies a healthy brain and hence an improvement in its performance.
5. Be in a soothing environment – An environment with lots of disturbance makes your mind lose its peace. Don’t let unnecessary elements hinder your concentration powers.
6. Get sufficient sleep – While you sleep your brain still works, but on what? On mending the broken things… It heals you. So sleep, be fit. Wake up fresh, and improve your concentration. Bingo! And that too without working hard.
7. Stay away from disturbances – Keep your mobile away, and other such gadgets. If you can’t, try spending time on some education sites like SOF Olympiad Trainer, or such.
Now coming to few techniques which will help you in improving concentration!
Sense of Smell Method – When you take a walk to a garden or even to a fruit vendor, there would be different kind of smells. Try concentrating on one just smell and sense that particular smell. This is an amazing technique to improve your concentration.
Meditate – Meditation is the most powerful of all concentration techniques. There are so many meditation tricks on internet, one can try.
The Keywords Technique – In this technique, find the right word about which you are studying. Like subject of the topic. And whenever you lose your concentration, start saying that word repeatedly.
For Ex – Suppose you are reading something about guitar, then guitar will be your word. As soon as you feel distracted, repeat the word guitar and see the wonders eventually.
Practice mindfulness - During breaks at home or on the job, take some steady, deep breaths and simply concentrate on your inhalations and exhalations. This Buddhist technique has shown to improve mental performance by helping ground your mind in the present, instead of letting it distracted throughout the day.
Your Kid is A Topper - Make This a Habit!
How to Manage Your Time During an Olympiad Exam?
Being a parent is quite tough, especially if your kid is a topper, as you have an additional worry to maintain your kids score the same or make it better so that he/she continues to be a topper. To make this a habit, kids need to master a couple of techniques and instil some highly effective studying habits.
Parents also need to play their part in order to help their kids with maintaining their best score. We have probably heard or read ‘study smart, not hard’, and this is a very appropriate way of achieving the goal one has set for them. Let’s go through the list below to understand how you can help your kid with being a topper and make it a habit:
1. Parents need to teach their kid to understand the topic of their study and not let the kid blindly by heart the matter and this is very essential for kids understanding.
2. Submitting homework on time will help the kid to stay on track with what is being taught in class and it clears the concept. It also helps practice and raise questions in case the kid is not clear with the topic.
3. Taking short breaks after each study session help in better concentration and does not make the routine monotonous.
4. Never skip class, and you will always be up to date with your teacher and you won’t fall behind.
5. That being said, priorities must be maintained with a goal in mind and a proper study schedule.
6. When the child is studying, parents need to make sure that the child is kept away from any kind of distractions especially during study hours. This increases the productivity and will help the kid complete the task in a shorter period of time allowing some extra time.
7. Kids should be taught about how to manage time and stay organized, as this will teach them to avoid multi-tasking and break tasks efficiently.
8. Allowing your kid, the freedom to study depending on their comfort level helps them to study with a clear and a focused mind.
9. Encourage your kid to help other kids with their studies, this will help them to revise and understand better.
10. Parents need to spend time with their kids and give them all the attention they require; this will allow the kids to express their feelings more openly in case they have any doubt or need help.
11. Make sure that your kid gets enough time to play and interact with other kids, this builds confidence in them.
12. To maintain top score, teach your kid to be dedicated, organised and to respect time.
13. Sustaining good notes is also important as this will encourage the kid to listen carefully when the lecture is on.
14. Pay attention to what is being taught and ask questions.
15. Participate in class discussions, this will expand your knowledge.
16. Read aloud and let your brain process information faster and accurately.
17. Write down important points and discuss topics that are hard to understand.
18. Read the textbook thoroughly but don’t just stick to it, try and associate the textbook concept with real life events if possible. This will help broaden the concept of the topic that is being taught.
19. Revise the study effectively to maintain good grades.
20. Try and avoid procrastinating as all it does is kill time and reduce productivity.
21. Let your kid explore and choose a method that would work the best for him/her.
All this might seem difficult, but when you sit down and plan everything systematically it will eventually seem easy. Parents need to be supportive and not force the kid into doing what they do not intend on doing. Amidst all this learning giving kids their personal time to have fun boosts up their interest to learn and because they are kids, they have the right to have fun. So, if you inculcate these practices effectively and on a regular basis it will become a habit and we all know that ‘habits die hard’. For Olympiad Preparation Visit Here
Not being very good in day to day conversation myself, I idolised my sister and always wished I could also be as confident and charming as she is when engaged in a talk with someone. It was sometime that I started noticing her communication skills, so well ingrained in her style. On the basis of what I noticed and read about in various articles I have compiled a few observations which I would want to share with you:
- My name is the sweetest sound to my ears - When talking to someone remembering and addressing them with their name is a sure shot compliment and the biggest ice breaker at the start of the conversation. In case of being unable to recall the name, it’s better to ask rather than trying to recall the name and being inattentive during the conversation. You can always make up your forgetfulness by being a little extra attentive and empathetic later.
- Eyes are the mirror of Soul - Making eye contact with the person you are talking to, paying attention to what is being said and responding in the correct way is another important aspect of good conversation.
- Share the Talk - Bringing the conversation around to mutual topics of interest where each one can comfortably share their views makes the talk interesting with long lasting thoughts.
- Your view is important to me- Being a good listener and respecting other people’s point of view is as important as blending your tone to leave space for discussion when putting your point of view during a conversation.
- Ohhh! You are Good - A small honest compliment can make the other person feel important. Place value on their thoughts, opinions and navigate to their topic of interest to engage in a more rewarding conversation.
Ever wondered what those SWEET WORDS of your teacher could have actually meant? Here we are with few twists stating what they said and what they actually meant!!!
* You have lots of potential - You are being lazy and I already know it dear.
* Today we will have a fun activity - I get bored too, c'mon I need a break.
* You can do it better - I just can't understand why you don't get the thing done right for the first time and save both of our time.
* Good luck for your surprise test - Ha ha ha... The test is really tough!!!
* Next time I'll be sending you to the principal - I quit. Now I want you to be somebody else's problem.
* It is not funny - It is funny and as a teacher I just have to act strict.
* Call your parents tomorrow - Why should I take all the pains alone.
* You have got an independent spirit - Why don't you listen to any thing I said.
* The test is cancelled - No I am not being kind, I just have too much other stuff to do which were certainly more important.
* You are a good kid - You are awesome. Sometimes they say what they want to say.
Have you ever walked out of an exam hall wondering, ‘Oh, I wish I had more time, I knew the answers to the last questions or I shouldn’t have spent so much time on that one question? If your answer is yes, you might want to read this blog before you appear for your next Olympiad exams. These highly competitive exams don’t just test your knowledge and skills, they also test your ability to handle pressure and complete the exams within the given time frame.
Managing your time effectively is extremely important when appearing for Olympiads. It’s not really that difficult and it can definitely make a vast difference in your results. To begin with, understand the format of the exam before you start preparing. This will help you to make the right preparation plan, create a time allocation plan, save time during the exam and reduce stress levels. Remember these basic principles when you head to your Olympiad exams:
- Give sufficient time to yourself in the beginning of the exam to:
- Read the entire paper thoroughly
- Decide which questions you will begin answering
- Know how you’re going to approach the questions
We bring you some useful tips from experts that will help you complete your exam in time:
- Know what to expect before you step in the examination hall
Thanks to technology, you can now know the exact format of your Olympiad exam. Appear for mock tests and sample tests before your final exam so that you are prepared for the paper, its format and the instructions.
- Divide your time
You should know how many questions will be asked in each section beforehand so that you can divide your time accordingly. Have a plan of how long you will be spending on each question and stick to that plan. Don’t spend equal time on each question though it may seem logical as some questions will require more time while some answers might come easily to you. Students who excel in the Olympiads are well-aware of how to approach their paper and they can portion out their time effectively so that they complete the entire exam in time.
- Start with something you know well
A strong start in the exam can give you the motivation to do faster and better. Pick a question that you are extremely confident about and move ahead from there.
- Don’t forget to read the questions thoroughly
Many students tend to read the questions in a hurry because they want to complete the exam in time. However, sometimes, the examiner might have framed a tricky question and you might miss the crucial points if you don’t read the questions properly.
- Don’t be scared to skip some questions and come back to them later
There’s no rule that you have to answer the questions in the given order. If you feel that a particular question may take time, you can skip it, and return later after you have finished the other easy questions.
- Don’t be afraid to guess
If you are unsure about a particular answer, you can take a guess in the Olympiad exams as there is no negative marking in most exams. However, don’t waste too much time on well.
- Use all the time you have
If you are super quick and finish the paper before time, don’t waste the last few minutes. Utilize all the time you’re given to check your answers, see if you have missed any questions, and re-check your guesses to increase your chances of success.
One of the primary reasons students struggle with time management during Olympiad exams is because they panic. Calm yourself, get a good night’s sleep and be confident about completing your paper. This will help you do well in the exams and get great results!
All the best!
School students across the country participate in the Olympiad Training in order to excel in the subjects of science, mathematics and computer education. Today, our world is highly dependent on science and IT, and the dependency is only growing by the day. Our students, who will become leaders of tomorrow get an opportunity to analyse their skills and prepare for the future with these exams. By identifying young geniuses and training their minds and skills at the right age in the right way, SOF is building innovators of tomorrow. The training brings about a transformation to the classroom approach and makes science and IT interactive, innovative and more practical for our modern generation.
If you are a student getting ready for Olympiad or a parent who wants your children to gain from its benefits, you must start preparing for the exams in advance. Thanks to technology, you will find it a lot easier to study online and prepare for the exams in the most systematic manner. For those who are weighing out the pros and cons of online vs. offline preparation, we bring you the top 5 reasons why you should switch to online preparations for Olympiad Training:
- A Powerful Preparation Tool The internet is a fast and cheap way of learning anything and everything. It is highly interactive and easy to use, making it a powerful tool for students appearing for the Olympiad exams. Due to the internet, learning is not just confined to books or rigorous study, but it also involves a lot of fun-filled activities and excitement as well.
- A Reference Book If students need any references or any assistance during their preparation, it might be difficult to locate the perfect book in a library full of thousands of books or hundreds of newspaper articles. However, with the advent of technology, all the references you need are available at a single click, making it extremely time-efficient for students to study. Websites like Wikipedia, Mathworld, and PlanetMath are highly useful for students.
- Unbeatable Search With powerful search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing, students can always find what they are looking for online. Students will also learn how to effectively use these search engines by using the right phrases, which will be an advantage for them in the long run.
- Specialized Training A lot of companies have set up specialized trainings for students through their websites. These websites offer mock tests, quizzes, preparation meters, revision, fun zone and a lot more. Students can complete their entire preparation through such websites. The content uploaded on these sites is the finest content that is created by experts in the industry, assuring parents and students of exceptional knowledge.
- Flexibility The greatest boon of the internet is the flexibility it offers. Students can study whenever they want, wherever they want. Many training websites have a mobile application as well, which can be downloaded on phones and tablets, ensuring that study materials travel with kids. Students also get an opportunity to create customized tests for self-assessments. Plus, they get easy access to all previous question papers with solved answers, at just a few clicks. The mock test results are also given immediately, so that students can analyse their performance and proceed ahead with a proper roadmap.
Students can practice learning more efficiently due to the convenience of the internet. Most online websites offer the complete syllabus for the exams and provide innovative and interactive study materials that help clear the concepts of the course for students. Whether you want to improve speed or accuracy, test your preparation level or start studying from the beginning, online preparation is the future for Olympiad Training. Embrace it today to stay ahead in these competitive exams!
A Must read for all appearing for SOF Olympiads
Here we are going to discuss some of the Math tricks which will help you do calculations at the faster speed. These tricks are a kind of helping hand in your exam time, saving a lot of time and scoring more. Efficiency come with practice but these math tricks will increase your speed and help you do math calculations faster.
- Square and square root of a number ending with 6
- Multiplication of 11 with any number of 3 digits.
- PERCENTAGE COMPUTATION
- Addition of common difference in a series of numbers
- Five Digit cube and cube root trick
Step 1. Put down 6
Step 2. Multiply 2 with (7 + 1) = 16 and add 16+1= 17. Put down 7 and carry 1
Step 3. Multiply 7 with (7 + 1) = 56 + carry 1 = 57 put down 57
Let me explain this rule by taking examples
1. 352*11 = 3---(3+5)---(5+2)---2 = 3872
Means insert the sum of first and second digits, then sum of second and third digits between the two terminal digits of the number
213*11 = 2---(2+1)---(1+3)---3 = 2343
Calculate 65% of 460:
Step 1: 50% of 460 = 230
Step 2: 10% of 460 = 46
Step 3: 5% of 460 = 23 (half 46)
Result: 65% of 460 = 299 (sum)
We need to add the larger number with smaller number, After that multiply this add result by count of numbers in the series of numbers, at last we have to do that we divide the result by 2.
39, 49, 59, 69 and 79
Step 1: Add the larger number with small number that is 79 + 39 = 118
Step 2: Then multiply the add result 118 × 5 = 590
Step 3: At last divide the number by 2, 590/2 = 295
Need to remember 1 to 10 cube.
Example: 3√13824 =?
Step 1: Last digit of cube number from right side is 4 that we consider 64 = 43 we put down 4.
Step 2: Take the number whose cube is nearest to 13.
That is 13 is nearest to 23 and 33, we take small one cube digit that is 2.
So the answer is 24.