Effective preparation for Olympiad examinations is extremely important and can have a very significant impact on your results. Developing proper strategies, revision techniques and time management skills can lessen anxiety as the exam draws closer and enable you to fully demonstrate your knowledge and abilities in the Olympiad examination setting.
The Olympiad exams tests more than just bookish knowledge:
They allow you to build your organizational skills, strengthen your study skills, and your ability to perform well under pressure and time constraints. No matter how clichéd it sounds, I cannot stress enough on the old adage that “Practice makes a man perfect.”
We all are familiar with this famous quote. And one of the best ways to practice for such examinations is by taking mock tests and solving as many questions as possible. Practicing many questions through the course of your preparation aids in building a winning exam temperament.
Through our SOF Olympiad Trainer, our motive is to prepare budding minds for their SOF Olympiad Exams in an immersive way. Apart from the finest content by eminent leaders in this space, detailed questionnaires of NCO, NSO, IMO, IEO are covered. We have a vast collection of previous years papers to help the learners with the right approach. Also, various model test papers are designed for the students to fulfill their need for comprehensive practice. Based on the various tests provided, students can analyze their progress and work on the part where they find themselves lacking.
Prepare NSO with NSO Previous Year Papers
Taking the maximum number of tests helps you to hone your question-solving abilities.
You will get an overall idea about the type of questions asked, the approximate time needed for solving different types of questions which makes you fully prepared and confident to face the final challenges. You will also know your strong and weak areas by solving more and more question papers.
These tests will benefit you in building a positive attitude and combating nervousness, which will ultimately help you get an “Yes, I can do it” perspective. By attempting a diverse pool of questions regularly and learning from your errors, a candidate’s score improves with every test and so does his rank among his peers. If you go this route, you’ll definitely see a rise in your performance graph and as a result, your confidence in approaching these questions in the exams grows manifold.
Another interesting way of learning is by using digital learning aides:
Digital learning technologies can enable students to:
- Grasp concepts more quickly and fully.
- To connect theory and application more adeptly.
- To engage in learning more readily, and facilitating the widespread sharing of knowledge.
- Digital assessments offer students rapid feedback on their understanding, allowing both students and instructors to concentrate their efforts on where further understanding is most needed.
And yes, if you want good answers, you need to start by asking and reading good questions. Submit any queries you may have about concepts and approaches you may have doubts about on forums. There are considerable number of people with expertise in different domains who are happy to actively participate on various forums and help each other out with their queries so as to expand the collective pool of knowledge.
Connecting with such individuals and contributing your own experiences can give you invaluable insights and new perspectives that prove to be immeasurably important. So, it’s better to be too early and have to try again, than be too late and have to catch up!
Engaging in Activities that Require Critical Thought
As parents we are tasked with instilling plethora of different talents in our children.
One of the very important talent is, how our children look at a problem and solve it. Receiving a problem and solving it is a consequential talent, which cannot be ignored and defines ones perspective and outlook to a problem or situation.
There can be 3 ways to solve a problem or to get a solution.
- Apply Science
- Use your experience
- Apply Logic or Reasoning
The 1st method Science is acquired through various means of education in school or at home. This keeps improving as we sail through our academic careers.
The 2nd way Experience comes from a persons growing up process and is a result of his/her mileu. The 3rd method Logic or Logical Reasoning is a result of a person’s critical thinking and wisdom. It is how a person applies a rational to number of practices and phenomena in everyday experience.
Play games that require reasoning skills:
The various mind games like Rubik Cubes, Sudoku, and Puzzles are all solved through logical reasoning and critical thinking. Logical reasoning has been a most widely used tool in lot of competitive exams and Olympiads. Reasoning also holds 30% weightage in all Olympiads to measures child’s overall capabilty and inteligencia.
Logical reasoning tests are a form of psychometric testing and are also widely used by corporate employers to help assess candidates during their recruitment process. 'Psychometric' is just a fancy way of saying 'measuring mental ability' and logical reasoning tests are designed to measure candidate’s non-verbal skills.
Here is a Wellknown and an Interesting story on Logical Reasoning which all of you may enjoy!!
Long time ago a farmer owed a huge sum of money to a moneylender.The Moneylender was an old and cunning man, who fancied the farmer's beautiful daughter. So he proposed a bargain. He said he would forgo the farmer's debt if he could marry his daughter.
Both the farmer and his daughter were horrified by the proposal.So the cunning moneylender suggested that they let fate decide the matter.He told them that he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty money bag.Then the girl would have to pick one pebble from the bag.
1. If she picked the black pebble, she would become his wife and her father's debt would be forgiven.
2. If she picked the white pebble she need not marry him and her father's debt would still be forgiven.
3. But if she refused to pick a pebble, her father would be thrown into Jail.
They were standing on a pebble strewn path in the farmer's field.As they talked,
the moneylender bent over to pick up two pebbles. As he picked them up, the sharp-eyed girl noticed that he had picked up two black pebbles and put them into the money bag.The Moneylender, then asked the girl to pick a pebble from the money bag.
Now, imagine that you were standing in the field. What would you have done if you were the girl? If you had to advise her, what would you have told her?
Careful analysis would produce three possibilities:
1. The girl should refuse to take a pebble.
2. The girl should show that there were two black pebbles in the money bag and expose the moneylender as a cheat.
3. The girl should pick a black pebble and sacrifice herself in order to save her father from his debt and imprisonment.Take a moment to ponder over the story.
The above story is used with the hope that it will make us appreciate the difference between lateral and logical thinking.
The girl's dilemma cannot be solved with traditional logical thinking.Think of the consequences if she chooses. What would you recommend to the girl to do?
Well, here is what she did ...The girl put her hand into the money bag and drew out a pebble. Without Looking at it, she fumbled and let it fall onto the pebble strewn path, where it immediately became lost among all the other pebbles."Oh, how clumsy of me," she said. "But never mind, if you look into the money bag for the one that is left, you will be able to tell which pebble I picked."Since the remaining pebble is black, it must be assumed that she had picked the white one. And since the money lender dared not admit his dishonesty, the girl changed what seemed an impossible situation into an extremely advantageous one.
Moral of the Story: "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't Attempt to think.
“You don't want a million answers as much as you want a few forever questions. The questions are diamonds you hold in the light. Study a lifetime and you see different colors from the same jewel.”
I've always had trouble coping up with asking questions, and one particular childhood memory reminds me why that is. I was 12 years old, dressed in my school uniform and my father was about to drop me to my school. When we reached the school, he handed me some form of letter and asked me to take it to the school office. I cheerfully asked what it was that I was holding and why it needed to be taken to the office. Instead of being pleased at my nosiness, he became annoyed at my question and told me that he is going to do it himself if I’m having troubles doing it. I tried to explain that I was just curious, but my father's anger just deepened further. This wasn't the first time I had felt incredibly hurt and ashamed for asking him a question. I wished I hadn't asked at all. Maybe that would have pleased him better!
Prepare for Olympiad Exams
1. Children learn by asking questions.
Students learn by asking questions. New recruits learn by asking questions. Innovators understand client needs by asking questions. It is the simplest and most effective way of learning. Brilliant thinkers never stop asking questions because they know that this is the best way to gain deeper insights.
2. Young children are curious beings.
They look at their surroundings in awe, yearn to smell and touch what they haven't before, questioning what they don't understand. As children grow older, the frequency and types of questions asked does indeed change, but a child's thirst for knowledge still remains. Yet it's during these early years that their questions really need to be encouraged. Although young children may appear dogged with their curiosity, they may not necessarily want an answer, just an opportunity to engage in a conversation about something they're interested in.
NSO Mock Test
3. Value your child’s questions.
As parents, it would be impractical to answer every single question throughout the day. As long as one is encouraging their children to ask questions most of the time, it's perfectly reasonable to leave the answer for a later time. However, if a child is repeatedly being discouraged from asking questions, there could be a detrimental effect on their development. Your child's courage to ask questions and your willingness to answer them, matter a great deal to the future around us. You are helping your child to expand their view of the world, and to accumulate knowledge that will eventually make the world a better place to live in.
And just like science shows us through inventions like the telephone, electricity or the cures of many cancers, in order to find answers, we must first ask the right questions. As elders, we need to do everything we can to encourage questions in our children. So hopefully one day, their curiosity might be the catalyst for immense change as well. They are going to shape the future and by helping them, we’re creating a better future for them. The future belongs to the Curious. The ones, who are not afraid to try it, explore it, poke at it, question it, and turn it inside out.
Abraham Lincoln once said “If I had six hours to chop a tree, I will spend first four hours sharpening the axe.”
The importance of preparation cannot be explained in a more practical and straightforward way than the above statement.
Our children worked hard for Level-1 Olympiads. It is now our turn to boost their confidence and help them prepare well for Level-2 Olympiads.
Appearing for Level-2 Olympiads without preparation can be disheartening for our children. Our children may end up feeling dejected and dissatisfied, as somewhere inside they know that they could have done much better, had they prepared for it.
So let’s not waste the chance our children have got. Let’s help them prepare for Level 2 Olympiads. It is not about coming in top 3 or top 10, it is about helping them putting their best foot forward and respecting and acknowledging their effort.
Some of the children qualify for multiple Level-2 Olympiads. As all Level-2 Olympiads are conducted on the same day, children find it tough to prepare for multiple Olympiads. Parents should step in here and help them plan and prioritize.
The syllabus of Level-2 Olympiads is same as Level-1 Olympiads but the difficulty level increases in Level-2. It is important to understand the pattern and types of questions generally asked and hence it is important to attempt Previous Year Papers and Mock Tests.
SOF Olympiad Trainer has exclusive content to help you prepare for Level 2 Olympiads
NSO 2nd Level Sample Papers
NCO 2nd Level Sample Papers
- Level - 2 Previous Year Papers
- Level - 2 Mock Test Series
- Level - 2 Sample Papers
In addition, the children should try to do the Chapter-wise test bank once again.
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of hard work, planning and preparation.
These are small steps towards a big goal.
SOF Level-2 Olympiads are going to be held on 12th Feb 2017 for NCO, NSO and IMO.
Practice makes a man perfect. And so does Mock Tests.By practicing mock tests you are actually working towards improving your exam scores. It focuses on various aspects of the exam which could not have understood by just studying theories.
Mocks are trial test which are based on original exam pattern and should be taken mostly after preparing for the exam. Based on result you should assess the level of preparation.Thus getting an insight before main exams. Mocks are available for nearly all the exams be it Olympiads, or government or any other. There are many more advantages of giving mock tests, which are as follows:
• Better time management – Time is one of the most important factor when it comes to successfully clearing any of the exam. However how much one is prepared for the exam, unless and until he/she she doesn’t know to put the complete knowledge in the given time frame it becomes useless. So by giving mocks you know where you are taking more time to answer a question and hence work on that part.
• Boost Confidence – Practicing Mocks not only makes one prepare for the exam but also boosts confidence. It helps you oversee time and execution with awesome certainty. The more test you'll give, the better you'll comprehend your strong and weak territories. Similarly gives you the chance to settle each inquiry with an uplifting attitude as you are assured that you have already prepared well.
• Know about your strengths and weaknesses – While giving mock tests one gets to know about their strength and weaknesses on various topics. This achieved by analyzing the amount of effort invested and time taken in answering various questions.
• Reduces error – Sometimes you may feel that you know a particular topic well, but when you start giving the test it turns out to be otherwise. You get to know where all you lose your attention and what all are the things you tend to forget. This way error reduces in the original exam.
• Improved Problem Solving Skill – The more you practice something the easier it becomes to do it. So mock test gives you this opportunity. You also get to know how much efficient are you if any new problem is thrown to you.
• It helps you revise – By repeatedly giving these tests you revise your course along with practicing it. Thus helping you in scoring well in an exam.
• It gives you feel of a real exam – As mock tests are similar to the original exam pattern they help them face the pressure of exam beforehand. So in turn in the real exam you are already prepared to face this pressure and hence an improved performance.
Try All Science Olympiad Mock Test Online at www.sofolympiadtrainer.com
Increased level of concentration is directly proportional to improved result and that too in lesser time. First of let’s see what concentration is. “Concentration is taking your mind off many things and putting it on one thing at a time”. An improved concentration level will help your kid perform better in learning and perform awesome, be it school test or exams like Science Olympiads, Maths Olympiads etc. So here some awesome ways to improve concentration.
1. Don’t keep your stomach empty before studying – The glucose in the food helps in improving memory. But don’t overeat as it may slow down your brain processing. Remember brain also need fuel for digestion.
2. Make picture in your head of what you study – Instead of learning to eat an apple a day, try visualizing yourself with eating an apple.
3. Give your brain a break – Our hardworking and intelligent brain also needs some recess. So give it some, otherwise in long run it may lose interest.
4. Give your brain some muscles – The key to a healthy life is exercise. In a healthy body lies a healthy brain and hence an improvement in its performance.
5. Be in a soothing environment – An environment with lots of disturbance makes your mind lose its peace. Don’t let unnecessary elements hinder your concentration powers.
6. Get sufficient sleep – While you sleep your brain still works, but on what? On mending the broken things… It heals you. So sleep, be fit. Wake up fresh, and improve your concentration. Bingo! And that too without working hard.
7. Stay away from disturbances – Keep your mobile away, and other such gadgets. If you can’t, try spending time on some education sites like SOF Olympiad Trainer, or such.
Now coming to few techniques which will help you in improving concentration!
Sense of Smell Method – When you take a walk to a garden or even to a fruit vendor, there would be different kind of smells. Try concentrating on one just smell and sense that particular smell. This is an amazing technique to improve your concentration.
Meditate – Meditation is the most powerful of all concentration techniques. There are so many meditation tricks on internet, one can try.
The Keywords Technique – In this technique, find the right word about which you are studying. Like subject of the topic. And whenever you lose your concentration, start saying that word repeatedly.
For Ex – Suppose you are reading something about guitar, then guitar will be your word. As soon as you feel distracted, repeat the word guitar and see the wonders eventually.
Practice mindfulness - During breaks at home or on the job, take some steady, deep breaths and simply concentrate on your inhalations and exhalations. This Buddhist technique has shown to improve mental performance by helping ground your mind in the present, instead of letting it distracted throughout the day.
Your Kid is A Topper - Make This a Habit!
How to Manage Your Time During an Olympiad Exam?
Being a parent is quite tough, especially if your kid is a topper, as you have an additional worry to maintain your kids score the same or make it better so that he/she continues to be a topper. To make this a habit, kids need to master a couple of techniques and instil some highly effective studying habits.
Parents also need to play their part in order to help their kids with maintaining their best score. We have probably heard or read ‘study smart, not hard’, and this is a very appropriate way of achieving the goal one has set for them. Let’s go through the list below to understand how you can help your kid with being a topper and make it a habit:
1. Parents need to teach their kid to understand the topic of their study and not let the kid blindly by heart the matter and this is very essential for kids understanding.
2. Submitting homework on time will help the kid to stay on track with what is being taught in class and it clears the concept. It also helps practice and raise questions in case the kid is not clear with the topic.
3. Taking short breaks after each study session help in better concentration and does not make the routine monotonous.
4. Never skip class, and you will always be up to date with your teacher and you won’t fall behind.
5. That being said, priorities must be maintained with a goal in mind and a proper study schedule.
6. When the child is studying, parents need to make sure that the child is kept away from any kind of distractions especially during study hours. This increases the productivity and will help the kid complete the task in a shorter period of time allowing some extra time.
7. Kids should be taught about how to manage time and stay organized, as this will teach them to avoid multi-tasking and break tasks efficiently.
8. Allowing your kid, the freedom to study depending on their comfort level helps them to study with a clear and a focused mind.
9. Encourage your kid to help other kids with their studies, this will help them to revise and understand better.
10. Parents need to spend time with their kids and give them all the attention they require; this will allow the kids to express their feelings more openly in case they have any doubt or need help.
11. Make sure that your kid gets enough time to play and interact with other kids, this builds confidence in them.
12. To maintain top score, teach your kid to be dedicated, organised and to respect time.
13. Sustaining good notes is also important as this will encourage the kid to listen carefully when the lecture is on.
14. Pay attention to what is being taught and ask questions.
15. Participate in class discussions, this will expand your knowledge.
16. Read aloud and let your brain process information faster and accurately.
17. Write down important points and discuss topics that are hard to understand.
18. Read the textbook thoroughly but don’t just stick to it, try and associate the textbook concept with real life events if possible. This will help broaden the concept of the topic that is being taught.
19. Revise the study effectively to maintain good grades.
20. Try and avoid procrastinating as all it does is kill time and reduce productivity.
21. Let your kid explore and choose a method that would work the best for him/her.
All this might seem difficult, but when you sit down and plan everything systematically it will eventually seem easy. Parents need to be supportive and not force the kid into doing what they do not intend on doing. Amidst all this learning giving kids their personal time to have fun boosts up their interest to learn and because they are kids, they have the right to have fun. So, if you inculcate these practices effectively and on a regular basis it will become a habit and we all know that ‘habits die hard’. For Olympiad Preparation Visit Here
Not being very good in day to day conversation myself, I idolised my sister and always wished I could also be as confident and charming as she is when engaged in a talk with someone. It was sometime that I started noticing her communication skills, so well ingrained in her style. On the basis of what I noticed and read about in various articles I have compiled a few observations which I would want to share with you:
- My name is the sweetest sound to my ears - When talking to someone remembering and addressing them with their name is a sure shot compliment and the biggest ice breaker at the start of the conversation. In case of being unable to recall the name, it’s better to ask rather than trying to recall the name and being inattentive during the conversation. You can always make up your forgetfulness by being a little extra attentive and empathetic later.
- Eyes are the mirror of Soul - Making eye contact with the person you are talking to, paying attention to what is being said and responding in the correct way is another important aspect of good conversation.
- Share the Talk - Bringing the conversation around to mutual topics of interest where each one can comfortably share their views makes the talk interesting with long lasting thoughts.
- Your view is important to me- Being a good listener and respecting other people’s point of view is as important as blending your tone to leave space for discussion when putting your point of view during a conversation.
- Ohhh! You are Good - A small honest compliment can make the other person feel important. Place value on their thoughts, opinions and navigate to their topic of interest to engage in a more rewarding conversation.
Ever wondered what those SWEET WORDS of your teacher could have actually meant? Here we are with few twists stating what they said and what they actually meant!!!
* You have lots of potential - You are being lazy and I already know it dear.
* Today we will have a fun activity - I get bored too, c'mon I need a break.
* You can do it better - I just can't understand why you don't get the thing done right for the first time and save both of our time.
* Good luck for your surprise test - Ha ha ha... The test is really tough!!!
* Next time I'll be sending you to the principal - I quit. Now I want you to be somebody else's problem.
* It is not funny - It is funny and as a teacher I just have to act strict.
* Call your parents tomorrow - Why should I take all the pains alone.
* You have got an independent spirit - Why don't you listen to any thing I said.
* The test is cancelled - No I am not being kind, I just have too much other stuff to do which were certainly more important.
* You are a good kid - You are awesome. Sometimes they say what they want to say.
Have you ever walked out of an exam hall wondering, ‘Oh, I wish I had more time, I knew the answers to the last questions or I shouldn’t have spent so much time on that one question? If your answer is yes, you might want to read this blog before you appear for your next Olympiad exams. These highly competitive exams don’t just test your knowledge and skills, they also test your ability to handle pressure and complete the exams within the given time frame.
Managing your time effectively is extremely important when appearing for Olympiads. It’s not really that difficult and it can definitely make a vast difference in your results. To begin with, understand the format of the exam before you start preparing. This will help you to make the right preparation plan, create a time allocation plan, save time during the exam and reduce stress levels. Remember these basic principles when you head to your Olympiad exams:
- Give sufficient time to yourself in the beginning of the exam to:
- Read the entire paper thoroughly
- Decide which questions you will begin answering
- Know how you’re going to approach the questions
We bring you some useful tips from experts that will help you complete your exam in time:
- Know what to expect before you step in the examination hall
Thanks to technology, you can now know the exact format of your Olympiad exam. Appear for mock tests and sample tests before your final exam so that you are prepared for the paper, its format and the instructions.
- Divide your time
You should know how many questions will be asked in each section beforehand so that you can divide your time accordingly. Have a plan of how long you will be spending on each question and stick to that plan. Don’t spend equal time on each question though it may seem logical as some questions will require more time while some answers might come easily to you. Students who excel in the Olympiads are well-aware of how to approach their paper and they can portion out their time effectively so that they complete the entire exam in time.
- Start with something you know well
A strong start in the exam can give you the motivation to do faster and better. Pick a question that you are extremely confident about and move ahead from there.
- Don’t forget to read the questions thoroughly
Many students tend to read the questions in a hurry because they want to complete the exam in time. However, sometimes, the examiner might have framed a tricky question and you might miss the crucial points if you don’t read the questions properly.
- Don’t be scared to skip some questions and come back to them later
There’s no rule that you have to answer the questions in the given order. If you feel that a particular question may take time, you can skip it, and return later after you have finished the other easy questions.
- Don’t be afraid to guess
If you are unsure about a particular answer, you can take a guess in the Olympiad exams as there is no negative marking in most exams. However, don’t waste too much time on well.
- Use all the time you have
If you are super quick and finish the paper before time, don’t waste the last few minutes. Utilize all the time you’re given to check your answers, see if you have missed any questions, and re-check your guesses to increase your chances of success.
One of the primary reasons students struggle with time management during Olympiad exams is because they panic. Calm yourself, get a good night’s sleep and be confident about completing your paper. This will help you do well in the exams and get great results!
All the best!